Friday, July 12, 2013

The Importance Of Skin Care Year Round

This is a compensated campaign in collaboration with Latina Bloggers Connect and Neutrogena, however all oppions expressed are my own.

Skin care is very important since your skin is the largest organ we have, and just like the rest of our organs we need to take care of it. We have three layers which are the epidermis, the dermis and the subcutaneous fat layer, or hypodermis. Each layer serves a different purpose. The epidermis is the thin outer layer that gives skin its pigment and produces new skin cells as dead cells shed. The dermis is the middle layer, and it houses pain and touch receptors, as well as blood vessels, hair follicles, collagen and elastin. The subcutaneous layer consists of collagen and fat -- it helps absorb shock and protects your body and internal organs (source: Ohio State University Medical Center).


Protecting your skin is very important, I was diagnosed with a mild case of Psoriasis in 2011 to my shock I was in awe since I have no family members that have this condition, and was beside myself on how to take care of myself or was their any cure or how to stop it from getting worse. To my surprise I found out it was and is a lifetime condition. With the proper medical care and a change in my eating habits and treating my skin gently I have not had a bad flare up .  Psoriasis /sɵˈraɪ.əsɨs/ is an immune-mediated disease that affects the skin. It is typically a lifelong condition. There is currently no cure, but various treatments can help to control the symptoms. Psoriasis occurs when the immune system mistakes a normal skin cell for a pathogen, and sends out faulty signals that cause overproduction of new skin cells. It is not contagious (source: Wikipedia )


When I told my family members some of them actually backed away and I had to let them know that it was not contagious and once I told them how it all came about they had more questions that I was more than happy to share. Since then and even before finding out I always made sure to take care of my skin by moisturizing, drinking plenty of water, wearing protective clothing and using sun screen.  I make sure to use sun screen all year round. I lost a good friend in 2012 from skin cancer which his family informed me was because he never used sunscreen and he was a farmer and was always in the sun. Protecting my skin is very important especially since I live in sunny Florida, even when I live in New York I knew to always wear sun screen even in the winter time.


 I always need to have items with me that will protect me from the sun and these are the top Neutrogena products I have.
  1. Clear Face Liquid Lotion Sunscreen
  2. Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen 
  3. Wet Skin Sunscreen
  4. Beach Defense™
Some Skin Care Tips.

1. Get plenty of sleep this helps your skin, while you’re snoozing, the skin’s repair mechanisms swing into action, says McBurney. Being sleep-deprived, by contrast, puts stress on the body, causing it to release more adrenaline and cortisol, which can trigger breakouts and other skin problems, says Barbara R. Reed, a clinical professor of dermatology at the University of Colorado, Denver. (And research from China found that insufficient sleep was a significant risk factor for acne among adolescents.) Make sure to get seven to eight hours of sleep.(source: University of Colorado, Denver)

2.Don't neglect certain areas of your body like your elbows, heels, neck, and every part needs moisturizing, even your scalp and the tops of your feet need sun protection.

3.Moisturize dry skin use a moisturizer that is for your skin

4.Avoid strong soaps. Strong soaps and detergents can strip oil from your skin. Instead, choose mild cleansers.

5.Pat dry  gently pat or blot your skin dry with a towel

6.Seek shade when outdoors.

7. Keep your skin moist, dryness causes your skin to crack and get very dry leading to a rough appearance, moisturizer while skin is still damp.

8. Wear sun screen when outdoors, the beach and the pool.



For more information on these products and skincare check out Neutrogena's website and to visit them on Facebook! You can follow the conversation on twitter with the hashtag # NTGBeautifulInsideOut

Photobucket


0 comments:

Post a Comment